La Mariblanca, that site surrounded by 18th Century arches, is the very heart of Aranjuez.
Jose Luis Sampedro, As Earth Spins, 1997
The Royal site of Aranjuez, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located forty five minutes south of Madrid, is a fine example of a rationally planned city with a well-defined urban center and beautiful gardens where fountains sing and trees sigh.
The proposal aims at:
- Granting the comprehensive and sustainable development of Aranjuez.
- A holistic vision of the city and its territory (the whole is greater than the sum of the parts).
- Preserving the Natural and Cultural Landscapes, (river banks, irrigated gardens, and gardens).
- Preserve the urban scale, its form and structure, character and density.
- Calming traffic.
- Increasing regional connectivity (Aranjuez – Madrid -Toledo).
- Redefining access to and from Aranjuez.
- Connecting different neighborhoods.
- Decongesting traffic in the urban center.
- Creating cycle lanes and pedestrian lanes in bridge.
- Increasing parking capacity in the urban center.
- Facilitate access to central market and Main Square.